Phone: (403) 934-3176   Toll Free: 1-866-934-3176   Fax: (403) 934-3182   Client Portal
resources banner


Federal Political Contributions

If amounts of $400 or greater are donated to a federal political party by a married or common-law couple, the couple should split the donation between them, making half of the donation in each of their names, in order to obtain the maximum tax credit available. The tax credit available on the first $400 is 75% of the contributed amount, 50% on the next $350 and 33.3% on contributions over $750, up to $1,275.

In order for the contributions to be claimed by each individual, there must be two separate donation receipts, each made out to the appropriate taxpayer. Unlike contributions to Alberta political parties, where both names on the receipt allow the taxpayers to split the donation, the federal policy does not allow the split.